Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
English-Russian and Russian-English Dictionaries
- Wiktionary – If you search for Russian words in the English version it will show you them with English definitions. It will also show grammatical information such as case forms and stress. The dictionary entries are dual licensed CC-BY-SA and GFDL and can be downloaded.
- Мультитран – Collaborative Russian-English English-Russian dictionary, particularly useful for translating obscure terms. Knowledge of the target language is required to evaluate the suggestions given.
- Reverso Context – Enter a word or phrase and see how it has been translated in context in government documents, movie subtitles, and other real contexts.
- OpenRussian.org – Collaborative Russian-English English-Russian dictionary with sentence translations and recordings. Data is available for download. Incorporates material from a number of other projects including Wiktionary, Project Shtooka, and Tatoeba.
- OmegaWiki – Dictionary with tens of thousands of words and expressions in hundreds of languages. Dictionary is in the public domain and is downloadable.
- Russian Dictionary Tree – Russian-English dictionary which can be searched by typing in either an English or a Russian word. Provided by the Cornell University Russian language program.
- Russian Military Dictionary– Scanned copy of US War Department dictionary of Russian and English military terms
- Cловари русского языка для скачивания – Large collections of files containing dictionaries in various sometimes obscure formats. The dictionaries are in Russian. Copyright status is unclear.
- RussianGram – Automatically adds stress marks to Russian text (uses oDict.ru data)
- Wiktionary – In the entry for a Russian word you can open a box which gives all of its grammatical forms.
- Morphological Dictionary – Enter a word in any form, see all the forms. Site is in Russian. No stress marks.
- Словарь А.А. Зализняка – Scans of Zaliznyak’s morphological dictionary. This dictionary is used in practically every program which can conjugate and decline Russian words or identify their stressed syllables. This particular site has been up for years and is widely linked to.
- Grammatical Dictionary of the Russian Language – Words declined with recordings of pronounciation
Russian Dictionaries and Encypclopedias in Russian
- Словари и энциклопедии на Академике – Search a large number of dictionaries. Many of them are specialist dictionaries for a particular field such as astronomy, medicine, or automobiling.
- Советская энциклопедия – The Soviet Encyclopedia
- Энциклопедический Словарь Ф.А.Брокгауза и И.А.Ефрона –
Articles about Dictionaries
- Рыцарь и хранитель родной речи – Article about Sergey Ozhegov and his famous dictionary
- Словарь раздора – Article about copyright fight over Ozhegov’s dictionary